Search:
:
:
Closed Thread

Old 01-31-2014, 09:12 AM
Squire (Level 1)

Default [NOT A BUG] Abuse of Power?

This conversation occurred two days before the banning of Monkeyman aka P0rnstar and Rhad for naming their alliance "P0rnstar" and three days prior to SHP burning every city they had.

What happened next caught me totally off guard.

I don't really have a lot to say because the screen shots say more then I ever could.
120 hour suspension on the very weekend that we were about to cap at 800 which just required us moving members around in our alliance. Both Rhad and MM are banned pending an alliance name change... for a minimum of 5 days. I mean in two days it was over bro?

The rules are not the problem, I am fine with the rules. I am also fine with the the fact that both MM, Rhad, myself and you who are reading this have too broken the rules as they are impossible to follow. Here is a conversation from earlier this evening:

JRRayder:* did you get my e-mail?

@[JRRayder] yes and you mine?

JRRayder:* yes and of course it wasn't just the alliance name
@[JRRayder] May I ask what they did? I haven't been on much mostly playing on tablet in bed
JRRayder:* Rhad has already put it all out there for the world to see - but just run through his cities names for a start - i changed two of them and warned him and he changed them back to as bad or worse

JRRayder:* i informed you as the senior member of your alliance so you could know what happened and take action to protect your interests

@[JRRayder] It won't load unfortunately, I cant see what the names were. What was MM's 5 day for?
JRRayder:* a banable word use in chat - i told him he got no special privileges and then he went and changed the alliance name
JRRayder:* and mucked i have to respect both of their rights to privacy as well - so they can basically say anything (thinking of which i think they probably have said everthing under the sun about me ;-) and I can't respond to it
JRRayder:* you have as much info as i can share about what happened because all of this was in public chat yesterday and today - the rest unfortunately is not a matter for public record
@[JRRayder] Rhad changed the alliance name initially, it was changed again by MM? 5 days is a bit steep for a chat infraction unless deliberate and extreme or he told you to get fuct or something? Personal opinion isn't accounted for when modding did he tell someone off in an incredibly offensive way? trying to give you the benefit of the doubt here but your providing very little here man
JRRayder:* the rule i have been give by barbosa to run on is one warning for non-PG13 and then a perm ban
JRRayder:* the rule i have been give by barbosa to run on is one warning for non-PG13 and then a perm ban

JRRayder:* both of them went over the top with this and i talked it over with barbosa - explained the situation and this is the first time in game history there has been a less-than perm ban
JRRayder:* and i already know it won't stop - Rhad will come back angry as will mm and i am sure it will be too harsh for their liking and so on...
JRRayder:* and what they want is for me to enforce the rules for everyone else and not them and i won't do that
@[JRRayder] Wouldn't expect you to, neither would they. The irony behind the entire situation is almost laughable. If MM werent in such a bad place I am pretty sure I would be laughing.
JRRayder:* yeh and worse - i care what happens to him - SO much easier to push the perm ban button
JRRayder:* anyhow i passed the note on to give you fair warning two of your own would have their cities at risk - i would prefer you to not make a big deal of it that i "told" you - and also so you could settle your bunch down who were concerned they would get banned too...
@[JRRayder] Chat stays PG-13 but we're going to give you gold to hear the words f u c k, b i t c h and s h i t on your ads.. brilliant...truely brilliant. A 24 hour suspension maybe would of been alright, maybe. nah 12 hour and it wouldnt be the **** storm this is going to become.
JRRayder:* that is only if you tell the computer you are over 21
JRRayder:* and i personally have told barbosa the ads are not a good thing for us trying to go for a family environment for the game

JRRayder:* but mucked - a person puts an non-PG13 word or topic in chat - i warn them and they do it again? are they going to stop without it taking all my time to keep following-up with them?
@[JRRayder] Regardless, it's someone elses sand box, they choose how its run. If the same person that set the rules for chat is the same one who setup advertising he really is brilliant.
JRRayder:* the rules were developed by barbosa and the original game moderator - but in concur with that - the ads are a package deal offered to give a boost to the revenue stream of the game and give players in-game coin... that content is on a take it or leave it basis as i understand it
@[JRRayder] There's just to much man, a ****ty game is one thing but when an admin is telling his staff to ban people for anything deemed outside of pg-13 well the guys got to be a fool no offence. If what MM really wanted was this project to die, he just did it
JRRayder:* any game in the U.S. that allows 13 year olds to play must have a moderator and comply with PG13 language in all avenues of the game

JRRayder:* players who self-identify about 17 and again above 21 can receive outside content appropriate for their age but the game itself has to stay at the PG13 level
JRRayder:* above not about

@[JRRayder] I could argue with you and try to show you the faults but whats the point, your 100% correct in the law, show me another chat room who operates like you do and I will go away quietly. The fact is 12 year olds talk worse then 18 year olds... they dont care if they banned them all their server would look like this one.
JRRayder:* and without the market from 13 to whatever the game cannot be commercially viable - so there we have it - and no - most of our "competition" would get shutdown if investigated - so what a lousy situation eh?
JRRayder:* and without the market from 13 to whatever the game cannot be commercially viable - so there we have it - and no - most of our "competition" would get shutdown if investigated - so what a lousy situation eh?
JRRayder:* ah well - time for me to take off - cities are awaiting ya ;-) all college towns now lol
@[JRRayder] Hardly competition but they don't run their chat rooms like this so yes JR, a lousy situation. Have a good one.

Timing is everything and this is nothing short of suspicious but regardless of that its the fact that this is no longer a fun environment to play in because of the modding. I have already charged back and deleted as anyone who has made it this far already knows. It's been real, take it for what it's worth, there are many free games on the internet this one allows mod's to play the game same as you but they can also ban you for beating them though.
Have Fun!
Old 01-31-2014, 12:40 PM
Game Moderator

First a factually error Mucked

You have your dates off - the first conversation was on 26 January and persuaded me that the game was being played with and manipulated. That is when SHP adopted our torched earth policy. Just to be clear. Action against Rhad and mm was taken yesterday evening after over 24 hrs for them to change the alliance name as requested.

And of course, thank you for the maturity shown by posting a set of private conversations in the public forum. I was trying to honestly have an open discussion with you. But fair enough... they will stay here.

Following is exactly the set of "rules" I was following and these are the same rules you and everyone else playing the game agreed to abide by...

From the terms of service...

http://darkagewars.com/tos/

1. Description of Service

DarkAgeWars.com is providing Member with online game access. On the occasion that Member wishes to buy any in-game virtual goods or account upgrades, they may do so through the DarkAgeWars.com upgrade page. Anyone over the age of 13 is allowed to play the DarkAgeWars.com online game while following the in-game rules.

From the game rules...

http://www.darkagewars.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4

5. General Player Conduct

The use of profanity, sexual and racial slurs, obscene, harassing, or otherwise offensive language in usernames, alliance names, in-game mail, chat, the forums, private messages, signatures, etc. is not permitted. Threats of physical, emotional, or financial harm are not permitted.

And a note...

The game filters that produce the asterisks for us in chat are set to PG13 and also removed various words used as offensive slurs.

Players buying premium products or using in-game gold are given no special consideration.

Not that I expect a fair hearing - I am sure most people have already made their minds up but there it is.

Regards JR - Game Moderator

Last edited by JRRayder; 01-31-2014 at 01:45 PM. Reason: Spelling error - imagine that
Old 01-31-2014, 01:58 PM
Squire (Level 1)

Send a message via Skype™ to Lustrous

LOL!

So what finally did it for you JRR? What was the final straw that got you to ban two top players due to DAW rules? Because for 4 months you've been very picky and choosy about what rules we follow.

If MM and Rhad are banned SO SHOULD THIS WHOLE SERVER!

More more question... Does DAW follow COPPA rules more than other games?
Old 01-31-2014, 02:30 PM
Game Moderator

Like i said... minds are already made up...

But 100s of players play the game without ever setting off the language scanners in chat, bringing up offensive topics or naming their cities in offensive ways. And I have been more than fair to mm, Rhad and you for that matter. Maybe too fair - the standard for everyone else has been one warning and gone for good. So sorry, no smoking gun or final straw.

And as to COPPA - yes we follow it because it applies to protection of players under 13 and we don't allow players under 13. I have no idea if other games follow it or not but they ought to.

Old 01-31-2014, 03:28 PM
Squire (Level 1)

What falls under COPPA rules?

COPPA is an acronym of Children's Online Privacy Protection Act and as defined on their website "The Children's Online Privacy Protection Act, effective April 21, 2000, applies to the online collection of personal information from children under 13".

Since DAW does not allow players under 13, COPPA rules in effect here are redundant.

As well, COPPA has nothing to do with foul language. What I am gathering, the players have to be over 13 because DAW is collecting data from us.

PG 13 language is DAW rules. Not compliant to COPPAs.
Old 01-31-2014, 04:16 PM
Squire (Level 1)

I think i just found my answer...

11. Why does COPPA apply only to children under 13? What about protecting the online privacy of teens?

In enacting the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act, Congress determined to apply the statute’s protections only to children under 13, recognizing that younger children are particularly vulnerable to overreaching by marketers and may not understand the safety and privacy issues created by the online collection of personal information.

Although COPPA does not apply to teenagers, the FTC is concerned about teen privacy and does believe that strong, more flexible, protections may be appropriate for this age group.

I AM SO CONFUSED!
Old 01-31-2014, 04:34 PM
Squire (Level 1)

it is a law that says that anyone under the age of 13 can not give personal info to a website and if a website knowingly lets these under age kids or teens play the game the site will be shut down. it is the same reason you need to be at least 13 to create a Facebook account.or something like that i will ask my lawyer and .....
while i am at it i am still banned as my signature states any info on what is happening to my account will be appreciated.

the amazing used too be banned Kaiser Randall

i think it is but tomorrow may rain so i will go
yes this Kaiser was banned
all because
"I'm a writer, not a fighter" (hehe a song )

i know i know i just want that feel good feeling
is there a doctor in the house??? wait no doctor !!! well looks like nothing is going to get better for me.

Last edited by Randall; 01-31-2014 at 07:58 PM.
Old 01-31-2014, 04:41 PM
Game Moderator

And to foster the opportunity for teenagers to play and their parents to let them (i assume there are still parents who monitor their children's internet activities) the game has adopted PG13 as the language appropriate for chat.

No confusion... players under 13 may not play...

Play at all levels is PG13 by policy of the game owners.

Regards, JR - Game Moderator
Old 01-31-2014, 07:10 PM
Squire (Level 1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRRayder View Post
Like i said... minds are already made up...

But 100s of players play the game without ever setting off the language scanners in chat, bringing up offensive topics or naming their cities in offensive ways. And I have been more than fair to mm, Rhad and you for that matter. Maybe too fair - the standard for everyone else has been one warning and gone for good. So sorry, no smoking gun or final straw.

And as to COPPA - yes we follow it because it applies to protection of players under 13 and we don't allow players under 13. I have no idea if other games follow it or not but they ought to.

what a crock...the offensive names are not even real words, so I fail to see your argument JRR. The truth is that all my city names have been in use here since the server started, they were also used exactly the same in the last server, so in effect since August 2013. Yet it wasn't until we nearly put you and your alliance into the ground that "suddenly" I have offensive city names. It was the same with a certain person's name, it only became "offensive" once he humiliated you in the game by taking nearly all your cities. You have made your bed, I will be back, and if my alliance has not cleared you off of the map and into your little capital by then, you and me will dance...
Old 01-31-2014, 09:26 PM
Squire (Level 1)

If it wasn't clear before, allow me to say it again. The rules don't matter, its the implementation of and the enforcement of the rules that is however, the problem.

Your job is to catch spammers, ensure no one is being mistreated or verbally abused and to prevent people from "Multi Accounting". None of which was done, instead you gave a 5 day (120 hour) suspension for the name of an alliance which you then changed. P0rnstar is not offensive nor is it over "PG-13" it's a god damn profession you mouth breather.

I just don't see how you even have time to look in chat, with the cities you had you were obviously spending a lot of time playing. Playing is great but we need a mod not whatever half ass title you wear man.

I looked around last night at city names, everything from OsamabinFartin, Twintowersdown and so on... If you want to ban someone direct your attention to the actual offensive names not the alliance taking a dump on your ego.

Rhad's talk of coming back and being victorious sounds great but you cant win against that which doesn't recognize defeat, the banning of our two most active players during a war shows there are no boundaries to your "Moderating"

It's your sandbox, I just wont be playing in it until someone cleans the cat poop out of it.

Good day.
Closed Thread