Go Back Dark Age Wars Forums > Bugs, Guides and Questions > Bugs
Reload this Page
Chat Issues - Fall of 2018
:
:

Old 11-15-2018, 03:08 AM
Squire (Level 1)

Lightbulb Chat Issues - Fall of 2018

It is my opinion the the game owner or Dev as you like yo call him is slightly incompetent, or just does not care. Step one would be having a WORKING chat. This issue has gone on for years and to me should be a simple fix. There have been persistent issues for years.. Like moving troops from reserves to your 'army' I have to refresh ten times a day to make these things happen. I understand most of these actions require a MySQL database query, and at times there will be issues between the server and the database. That process seems to work well for the most part. They are 'glitches' I can deal with. The fact that the Dev or game owner can't seem to fix the damn chat issue is the main reason players are leaving IMO. Start with the simple things first. I could go on and on, but the fact of the matter is this post will lead to no improvements. It's seems the Dev or game owner is happy with the small amount he gets and does not feel any need to make the game better. This used to be a fun game when we had more then 20 active players. In closing I doubt the Dev developed this game. I assume he bought the rights. Otherwise he could fix the simple issues that have been messed up for years. In closing. I mean no disrespect to anyone. If they can't fix chat soon, I'm done with this game. Sadly chat is one of the main reasons I'm still here, well that and I was lucky enough to get un-banned..
Old 11-16-2018, 05:33 AM
Squire (Level 1)

Its really frustrating when the Chat is not working. The game has become non playable without it. I can relate to what Stetson said -- Please fix the Chat.
Old 11-18-2018, 11:12 AM
Game Moderator

Greetings Stetson and Ixy,

Since you put this in two different places, I moved it to it's own thread under bugs.

Regards JR - Game Moderator
Old 11-19-2018, 03:24 AM
Squire (Level 1)

Default Grrrr

Well things have been better as far as 'someone' restarting chat. It still crashes 3 times a day. How hard is this to fix? It's a chat box. The server has to be spitting out an error log. It's good that the Dev is paying attention now and is restarting 'something' sooner. Wouldn't it be better just to fix the damn issue? It's been an issue for YEARS.. Maybe take the 400 band-aids off and start fresh. Once again it's just a chat window.

It's more then what Ixy had for supper. I like to know who's online and when.

If there was a big war or mass planting of wheat tonight, we would have no way to communicate this information.

I'm not trying to be an azzhole. I thank you all for letting be back. If you wonder why the server is dead... This might be a reason.

If the buy some gold option crashed five times a day. I bet that would be fixed ASAP.

I'm close to walking away and disputing every paypal transaction I have made this world.
Old 11-19-2018, 03:51 PM
Game Moderator

Greetings All,

So something I was unaware of... there is a non-use timeout in the chat. When the dev swapped out the flash chat window and replaced it with an html version (so people on phones could use chat)... there is a session timeout that will stop chat after around 2-3 hours. The solution is to Ctrl F5 and chat should come back.

I believe some of the outages that you are having Stetson may be the session timeout.

And there is still an issue with chat itself freezing but the game dev has that mostly nailed down and fixed. The remaining known cause has to do with server resources allocated to the chat. There is apparently some sort of session or "per-seat" leakage that cause chat to run out of space on the server to run and so it crashes. These type of "bugs" are system related and are more difficult to run down.

Anyhow - progress is being made. The tradeover from flash to html base solved a bunch of problems and made the game mobile playable. Now it is just a matter of swatting the remaining bugs.

Hope this helps.

Old 11-21-2018, 05:26 AM
Squire (Level 1)

Default Chat Issues

Hello there, when I log in especially in the late evening, chat tends to not be working.

I do try what you have suggested JR, but for me it does not work. I suppose I can keep trying. However, does it make a difference if you have a Mac or PC ? Please let me know about any other remedies I could try.

Smithy
Old 11-21-2018, 10:08 AM
Game Moderator

Greetings Smithy

Well, if you login and there is no one in chat... then chat is likely down. Just message me as per my previous note. And "yes" chat was down again last night but is back up now.

Old 11-21-2018, 03:49 PM
Squire (Level 1)

Default Chat Issues

I thank you for your response JR, I am hoping like you that a permanent fix can be done about chat, however I am not holding out hope that will be done anytime soon.

I wil just have to deal with chat being cranky at times I guess
Old 11-25-2018, 12:44 AM
Squire (Level 1)

Unhappy Chat Issues Ongoing

Apparently, chat has decided to be cranky once again and crap out. People wonder why, we can not retain players for any length of time. I will be as professional as I can, however, I am getting increasingly frustrated at this frequent problem not being addressed in a satisfactory manner. Imagine if cell service or cable service, had constant crap outs!!!!

People would be up in arms, and it would get fixed. However, I guess make do patches are done and nothing long term is being done to fix this ongoing problem. How can a game function, when chat is down nearly half the time or when it is working, you do not know if it will stay working. Imagine, if other things, were like chat in this game, constantly going out of commission for hours at a time. Well, I am done with this post.
Old 11-25-2018, 11:04 AM
Game Moderator

Greetings Smithy,

Thanks for posting your opinions in the forum. That is what they are here for (more or less).

But if you want the issue dealt with and addressed by the game dev you always need to match a post here with a bug report. He doesn't read the forums but he is very dedicated to the bug reports.

Not sayin' he can fix the issue with chat but it keeps it where it is visible for him and the game owner too ;-)